HOW TO STAY SAFE FROM THUNDERSTORMS
- If you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning. Go to safe shelter immediately.
- As the storm approaches, take shelter in a building.
- If you are driving, pull off the roadway and park. Stay in the car with the windows closed and turn on the emergency flashers. Avoid touching metal or other surfaces that conduct electricity in and outside of the vehicle.
- If you are inside, unplug appliances and avoid using the telephone or any electrical appliances. Avoid taking a bath or shower, or running water for any other purpose.
- If you are caught outside and cannot reach a safe building, avoid high ground, water, tall, isolated trees and metal objects such as fences or bleachers. Picnic shelters, dugouts and sheds are not safe.